The Castle of Mytilene: The castle is one of the largest in the eastern Mediterranean. Its foundations were laid during the time of Justinian on the ruins of an even older fortification which can still be seen in sections of the walls. It has been used and rebuilt by the Romans, Byzantines, Venetians and the Ottoman Turks and consists of three main parts: The acropolis (upper castle) built at the southern and highest part of the hill; the main enclosure (central castle), the biggest part of which was constructed by the Genoese Gateluzzi; and the lower entrance (lower castle) located at the northwest part of the hill and constructed during the Turkish occupation. Important to see are the central western tower, the so-called “Queen’s Tower”; the votive slab bearing the coat of arms of the Gateluzzi family; the Byzantine eagle and the four “B”s of the Byzantine Emperors Paleologus; the Koule mosque; the Ottoman gate Orta Kapou; the gunpowder depository; the Islamic monastery and Ottoman theological school; the baths, the fountain and the reservoir.
The Roman Aquaduct at Moria: Just to the west of the village of Moria north of Mytilene is the main remnant of the great aquaduct built by the Romans between the 1st and 3rd century AD to supply potable water to Mytilene from the springs near Agiassos, 26 milometres away. The 17 impressive arches span 170 metres and are a technical marvel.
The Christian Temple of Chalinados: in the area of Chalinados, about one hour from Agia Paraskevi, you’ll find the imposing ruins of the early Christian basilica of Aghios Georgios restored in 1937.
The Ancient Theatre in Mytilene: Located high up on the north side of town in a pine grove, the amphitheatre was one of the largest in ancient Greece with a capacity approaching 15,000 spectators and is considered on par with the better known amphitheatre at Epidavros. It was built in Hellenistic times and repaired by the Romans. It is said that the emperor Pompeii was so impressed by this theatre that he ordered a similar one to be built in Rome.
The Yeni Tzami: This mosque in upper Skala in the north side of Mytilene is an example of Otoman architecture with distinct Greek influences. Built in 1825 it has been refurbished and is now used as an exhibition center.
Near Eressos, in Vigla you’ll find a Hellenic polygonal wall, ruins of a medieval castle, a Roman cistern and two turrets, one Genovese and the other Turkish.
Ancient Pyrra: Near Achladeri, you’ll find remains of this ancient town destroyed by yet another earthquake. Some remains are underwater so plan accordingly.
Ligonas Mill Valley: The 18 watermills are located near Petra in a valley with an unspoiled natural environment and geological wealth. The valley is bounded by the area known as Monastirelia and the chapels of St. Demetrios, St. Fotini and Our Lady Perpatichtra. The watermills were used in the late 18th century and untill the 1940s. The area is perfect for walking or cycling and is rich in flora and fauna, volcanic formations, traditional farm structures, old stone threshing-floors and cobbled paths dating back centuries.